16th Annual Artwalk - May 10+11, 2013
WHAT IS ARTWALK? A community-based arts festival that spans three blocks in Historic Westville Village every May, the Westville Village ArtWalk features Friday evening kick-off events and a full Saturday of live music, art exhibitions, demonstrations and studios, interactive art-making for kids and adults, theater & dance, walking tours, and an Artist & Artisan Market, perfect for Mother's day gift-shopping. A superbly fun event for kids and adults of all ages, ArtWalk will take place Friday, May 10 and Saturday, May 11, 2013.
Friday, May 10
EVENING KICK-OFF EVENTS Start off ArtWalk with dinner and a stroll through the Village visiting gallery openings, readings by local authors, and live music & dancing at the ArtWalk Patio Party! Click HERE for a full schedule for Friday Evening, including evening dining options.
Saturday, May 11
Click on individual map icons to view larger, save, and/or print. Or just pick up a printed copy at an ArtWalk Info table on Saturday (Whalley & West Rock Aves + Fountain St & Central Ave).
**ARTWALK RAFFLE** over 50 prizes! From a one of a kind painting, a family photo portrait session, to gift certificates to your favorite restaurant in the Village, you won't want to miss participating in this! Find out more information here.
GALLERY EXHIBITS - Established galleries Kehler Liddell, DaSilva, and Keys on Kites are joined by Webster Bank and other Village businesses in showcasing local artists' work.
* Evie Lindemann: Roots and Canals @DaSilva Gallery, 899 Whalley Ave. - An internationally recognized printmaker, Lindemann reflects on themes of mortality, healing, loss and regenartion through archetypal experiences and multiple mediums.
* Various Artists: The Right to Bear Arms: Artists Respond @Kehler Liddell Gallery, 873 Whalley Ave. - Works by a wide range of artists working in many media exploring the complex from multiple angles.
* Dooley-O: I Am Legend, @Keys on Kites Tattoo & Gallery, 869 Whalley Ave.
* Fara Gold: Fara's Transformations, @845 Whalley Ave. (next to Lesley Roy Home Couture)
* SCSU Student Arts League: Sculpture & Paintings, @Chris Volpe Photography, 904 Whalley Ave.(betw. Racquet Koop & West Village Opticians) - 10 artists exhibiting ceramics (Xa Blake, AvÃƒÂ© RenÃƒÂ©e, Katie Hudnall (&mixedmedia), Liam Geleneau (&mixedmedia), Miguel Benitez, Mike Tino) paintings (Ciara Cumiskey, Ninh Throong (drawing)) & photography (Michael Hanson, Lindsey Baeder)
* Steve DiGiovanni: Paintings, @Lyric Hall, 827 Whalley Ave.
* Tracie Cheng: Finding My Voice, @Active Wellness, 16 Fountain St. - Meet with Tracie from 2:30-4pm!
* Chapel Haven Artists, @Webster Bank, 894 Whalley Ave.
ARTIST STUDIOS - Westville-based artists open their studios to the public to show and discuss their work.
* A Broken Umbrella Theatre (12-4pm), The Smokestack, 446A Blake St.
* Frank Bruckmann, Studio 418, 418 West Rock Ave.
* Michael Galvin Studio, 904 Whalley Ave., #1B
* Violet Harlow Studio: Waiving Flags & Free High Fives, 838 Whalley Ave, #5 (entr. on West Rock Ave.)
* Evelyn Massey Studio, 55 Fountain Street, #2
* Sigrun Mueller Studio, 55 Fountain Street, #3
* Sergei Gerisamenko, 425 West Rock Ave.
* Gar Waterman, West Rock Studio, 425 West Rock Ave
ART IN WINDOWS - Window-shop through the Village while enjoying local artists' works.
* LENA'S CAFE: Frank Bruckmann, Tracie Cheng, Allan Greenier, Violet Harlow, Susan McCaslin & Sigrun Mueller, 873 Whalley Ave.
* WESTVILLE COMPUTERS: Violet Harlow, 895 Whalley Ave.
* HOUSE OF CHAO: SCSU Student Arts League, 898 Whalley Ave.
* RACQUET KOOP: SCSU Student Arts League, 908 Whalley Ave.
* WEST VILLAGE OPTICIAN: Gar Waterman, 904 Whalley Ave.
LIVE MUSIC & DANCE
Edgewood Park Stage: 11:00am - Sound Affect - Comprised of singers from all across Connecticut, performing a variety of music for charities * * * 12:30pm - Five in the Chamber - A rollicking bluegrass and old-time string band with a rocking edge * * * 2:00pm - Rob Carlson & Benefit Street - A 4 piece band with songs ranging from folk to country to pop, rock to rhythm and blues with satirical songs, reggae and a dash of Tex-Mex * * * 3:30pm - Kindred Queer - A trio focused on vocal harmony, progressive and poetically driven melodic development * * * 12 & 1:15pm - Lady Blaze Hooping - Entertaining performances of extreme and creative hula hooping
Blake & Whalley Stage: 12:30pm - Mark Zarillo Drum Circle - Drawing upon his rich knowledge of West African music and culture, Mark enjoys helping others express their rhythmic spirit * * * 3:00pm - The Lyric Hall Big Band (starting in the Village @3pm, marching to Blake Street Stage)
Active Wellness, 16 Fountain St. 12:20pm - Sound Familiar (acapella)
St. Aedan Church: 3:00pm - St. Aedan Pipe Organ Concert, 112 Fountain St.
Lyric Hall Theatre: 8:00pm - Tarantella Spider Dance (click HERE for tickets), 827 Whalley Ave.
SIDEWALK SALES & MERCHANT SPECIALS - Westville Village merchants offer sidewalk sales and specials for Mothers Day and beyond!
* Keys on Kites Tattoo & Gallery HUSTLERS' MARKET - 869 Whalley Ave.
* West Village Optician 50% SALE - Half-Price SALE on all in-stock Sunglasses & Eyeglass Frames - yes, 50% off! 904 Whalley Ave.
* SOHO Hair Outdoor BRAID BAR & RAFFLE - Soho's talented upwork specialists will create the latest braiding trends on lucky volunteers. Also, get tix for a $100 Soho Gift Card Raffle! 916 Whalley Ave.
* Thamera, for Frugal Living MEGA SALE - From 15-75% off! Local artists & craftspeople include: Sculpture by Curtis Cofield * * * Last Call Designz - unique craft in UPcycling * * * Fascinator Hats - All the rage in London! * * * Decorative furniture art and much more! 906 Whalley Ave. (courtyard betw. Racquet Koop and West Village Optician)
ARTISTS & ARTISANS MARKET - Unique shopping opportunities for Mothers Day, featuring local & hand-made artwork, artisan goods and crafts. Central Ave. & Fountain St.
AB&P Pottery Originals * * * Allan Greenier, Woodcut Prints * * * Animate My Face, Face-painting * * * Arpaia Lang Jewelers * * * Boutique Girl Gifts * * * Cathy Weaver Taylor, Paper Cut Cards * * * Ceramik, by Kiara Matos * * * ChildrenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Community Programs of CT Bird Houses * * * Claudia Salazar, Flowers & Juliana Norman, Handbags * * * Designs to Di For * * * Flatbrook Farm * * * Get Stoned! Jewelry * * * Kate Stephen Jewelry * * * Infinity Art & Metal * * * Krafted 4 Kids * * * Mary Lou Horan Watercolors * * * Neck Romancers * * * Out of Africa * * * Phyllis Lurie Urso Jewelry Designs * * * PomPom Purses * * * Ra, i-Pad Paintings * * * SCSU Student Arts League * * * Skyspyders Pottery * * * Steinen Jewelry
KIDS ART ACTIVITIES - New Haven-based community groups and the ArtWalk Kids Committee host a HUGE range of arts activities. Edgewood Park, Whalley & West Rock Aves.
All Our Kin - Seed Planting * * * ArtWalk Kids Committee - Bike-Powered Spin Art, Build-It Discs, Button Jewelry w/ Mirjam & Maddy, Mehndi/Henna Art w/ Margi & Friends * * * Canaan Health/Shaklee - Toobeez * * * Common Ground - Worm Bin * * * CT Folk - Robert Messore * * * Educational Homestay Programs - Beanbag Toss & Coloring Pages * * * Elm City Market - Pretzel Necklaces * * * Friends of Edgewood Park & New Haven Dept. of Parks - Climbing Wall * * * Friends of New Haven Animal Shelter - Doggie Adoption * * * Home Haven - Create-A-Mascot * * * International Festival of Arts & Ideas - Mini Box City * * * JCC Summer Camp Programs - Roulette Wheel Game * * * New Haven Museum - Colonial Games * * * New Haven Free Public Library - Bookmobile & Outdoor Reading Room * * * Schooner Inc. - Touch Tank * * * Westville Community Nursery School - Tie-Dye T-Shirts * * * Yale-China - Chinese Paper Cutting * * * Young Audiences/Arts for Learning CT - Sticker Fun
MORE INTERACTIVE ARTS!
* Before I Die New Haven - Before I Die New Haven is part of a global art project that invites people to reflect on their lives and share their personal aspirations in public space. This project was started by Candy Chang on an abandoned house in New Orleans after she lost someone she loved. Learn more HERE. Hosted by Beluma Arts, Eric Epstein & Alyson Fox. Aquila Motors, 6 Fountain St.
* I Map New Haven - This is a great opportunity to visually capture our New Haven experiences and share them with each other. With an 8x8" New Haven base map (pick one up from Eric Epstein or Aly Fox, or download/print from imapnewhaven.com), you can fill out any experience in any way: places you've lived, worked, eaten, visited, bicycled, gardened, hiked, fallen in & out of love, walked your dog, eaten pizza, discovered art, listened to music, lost & found things. Be Creative! Collage, drawing, photograph, etc. on the map and anonymously or not, email it (email@example.com)
Each map will be unique and exclusive to its map maker! The maps will be posted on imapnewhaven.com, and will eventually be created into an art installation, uniting all of our experiences of New Haven. Aquila Motors, 6 Fountain St.
* Artists @Work with A Broken Umbrella Theatre & Eli Whitney Museum (12-4pm) - Bring the budding artists in your ensemble to The Smokestack and enjoy Painting, Popcorn, & Pink Lemonade! Witness theater artists at work, building set pieces for their next big project and painting the new Broken Umbrella Bus! Plus, Eli Whitney Museum will be hosting a Wooden Bus Painting activity! The Smokestack, 446A Blake St.
* Vesper Studios Writing Workshop w/ Christine Palm (10am-12pm) - Pulitzer Prize nominee and activist Christine Palm will help you explore various writing genres and methods using "ekphrastic" (visual) prompts. Get a better feel for: memoir, creative non-fiction, poetry, short-form journalism, the op-ed, epistolary writing and whatever else time will allow. Find new ways to use different methodologies and vantage points in order to express your own particular voice. Cost is $35 and seating is limited. Tickets may be purchased HERE via PayPal, by phone at 203-710-2598 or by check to Vesper Studios, 838 Whalley Ave., Unit 4, New Haven, CT 06515.Vesper Studios, 838 Whalley Ave, Unit 4 - entry on W. Rock Ave.
Restaurants & Cafes: Bellas Cafe, 896 Whalley Avenue (203) 387-7107. Chens Kitchen, 883 Whalley Ave. (203) 389-2117. Delaneys, 882 Whalley Ave. (203) 397-5494. House of Chao, 898 Whalley Ave. (203) 389-6624. Lenas Cafe, 873 Whalley Ave. (203) 397-5885. Manjares, 838 Whalley Ave. 203-389-4489. New West Cafe, 879 Whalley Ave. (203) 387-5939. Owls Nest, 3 Tour Ave. (203) 389-7738. Pizza Hut, 864 Whalley Ave. (203) 389-0000 Dunkin Donuts, 864 Whalley Ave. (203) 397-1365. Sixpence Pie Company, 910 Whalley Ave. Stone Hearth, 838 Whalley Ave. (203) 691-1456. Subway, 865 Whalley Ave. (203) 389-5435 Westville Pizza, 883 Whalley Ave. (203) 389-9474
Food Carts & Trucks: Elm City Kettlecorn, 20 York st. (203) 887-3001. Food Encounters, East Haddam, CT, (203) 313-7133. JackÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Hot Dogs, 381 Crown St. (203) 865-9560. Jasmine Thai, 470 Bank St New London, CT (860) 442-9991. La Carreta, 930 State St. (203) 624-2442. Libbys Italian Ice, 139 Wooster St. (203) 772-0380. Sugar Bakery, 424 Main St East Haven, CT (203) 469-0815 Swagat, 215 Boston Post Rd West Haven, CT (203) 931-0108, and Szabo's Seafood, 615 Howe Ave, Shelton, CT (203) 922-1191.
TOURS & DEMOS
* CaBike Pedicab Rides: Catch a ride throughout the day from one venue to another. Donations accepted! Stationed at corner of West Rock Ave. & Whalley Ave. in Edgewood Park
* Creative Arts Workshop (CAW) Faculty Demonstrations - Throwing on the wheel and Kids Art Activities with CAW's Al Bell, Eva Scopino & Jen VanElswick. Aquila Motors, 6 Fountain St.
* SOHO Hair Outdoor Braid Bar: Soho's talented upwork specialists create the latest braiding trends on lucky volunteers. Also: RAFFLE for a $100 Soho Gift Card! 916 Whalley Ave.
* Telephone Pioneers: Phase 1: Reveries - Walk a trail in Edgewood Park with your smart phone and scan the QR codes posted trail-side. Each code links to a location-specific artwork! Trailhead betw. tennis courts & West Rock Ave.
* Westville Artist Studios & Art in Windows -Self-guided tour of over 20 galleries, shows and studios throughout the Village. Grab an ART Map & Guide at an ArtWalk Info Table @ Whalley & West Rock and Central & Fountain
* Westville History Tour (12-1:30pm) - Explore the history and architecture of Westville Village with local historian, author and Taste of New Haven owner Colin Caplan. Meet @Amhryn Field, behind 495 Blake St.
* St. Aedan Church Tours (12-3pm) - Explore this 1922 Victorian Gothic church & rectory, featuring fine stone work, scripture-themed murals, stained glass windows and statuary. Guided tours upon request. Fountain St. & McKinley Ave.
* Colin Caplan Book-Signing (1:30pm) - Following the Westville History Tour, Colin will sell and sign his books on New Haven history. Lyric Hall, 827 Whalley Ave.
* Public Art of New Haven Bike Tour (1:30-3:30pm) - Hosted by Elm City Cycling, this 12-mile tour will feature famous sculptures throughout New Haven. Helmets required! Meet @Edgewood Park Skatepark, off Whalley Ave. & Fitch St.
WHERE DO I PARK FOR ARTWALK?
FREE curbside parking throughout Westville Village from Fitch Street to Phillip Street on Whalley Ave, on Fountain Street from Central Ave. to McKinley Ave, on Central Avenue, West Rock Avenue + Metered Public Parking @ Blake Street & Whalley Ave. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF NEIGHBORHOOD RESIDENTS AND DO NOT BLOCK DRIVEWAYS!
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS!